Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 3

Podcasts

Overview
This week I was asked to listen to six different podcasts via iTunes. Dr. Strange's objective is for his students to get a better feel for recording and presenting a podcast. By listening to others' podcasts, we are able to see what we like and dislike about their podcasts and what we might want to use in our future podcasts. Before this project, I had no clue what on earth a podcast was. Now, I can see where it might be useful in my future as an educator. I do not see yet where I can use it in a math class, but I do see how I can learn from it about Smartboards and possibly other educational media that is to come.

Summaries
On iTunes I found some interesting educational podcasts. I found the SMARTBoard podcasts very interesting because they seemed extremely laidback. The hosts, Ben and Joan, seemed extremely improvised and very social as they were humorous and did not have a boring monotone voice. Ben even ordered coffee as he was in the middle of recording his podcast, which shows podcasts do not necessarily have to be one hundred percent organized and uptight. This makes podcasts definitely seem less scary!

The Kidcast podcasts were absolutely amazing to me because they seem to possibly give kids a self-confidence that no one can take away. They also seemed a little less organized, but of course that is to be expected, as they are kids--not professionals! I never had this opportunity as a child, and I find it quite neat. The podcast by Dan Schmidt was very interesting because it was completely different from the SMARTBoard Lessons Podcast as it had no music at all. What I like about Dan is that he stressed how important he sees video podcasts even though his podcast was only audio. He was also quite different from Ben and Joan because he was more serious and seemed more organized.

From ConnectLearning, I listened to Episode 90, which is David Warlick talking to a group of educators about using podcasts in the library. It was quite interesting because it actually involves his audience as they ask questions and give their opinions on podcasts. David makes a point to say that we can take information in the classroom and make it available across space. This is excellent because students in other classrooms can even listen to these podcasts if they have a problem with how their teacher presents information. Sometimes students simply need a second person to tell them information before it "clicks." I honestly cannot tell you how many times I have watched videos of other professors teaching a particular subject just to see how they present it and see if it makes more sense a second time around. I like their opinion on students doing podcasts for younger students coming into the school and even better for parents moving to the area. This would make a school "jump out" to a set of parents so that they might make an educated decision on what school to enroll their child in.

The EdTechTalk Podcast seemed to be more of a group discussion. I honestly like the group discussions because you do not get bored listening to one person. I am more of a visual learner, so my mind drifts easily listening to one person talk forever--kind of like driving behind the same person on the interstate for long periods of time. In Episode 62 a few ladies were talking about their opinions on the iPod and iPhone. They made it interesting because they were all from different areas; one lady in the podcast was even from Australia. They interviewed the ladies in a very laidback setting, but it did seem as if the questions being asked were pre-planned. Even so, I thoroughly enjoyed the ladies conversations and thoughts.

MacBreak Weekly Episode 177 sounded like a news station reporting on the new Apple iPad. First they introduced everyone involved in the podcast then went directly to their topic. This podcast sounded very professional and insightful. I had no idea what the iPad is, but they describe it as an "experience" and a slightly bigger iTouch. Some of the people in the podcast had attended the premeire event of the iPad, and some had not. Apparently the iPad is an awesome tablet that many people are excited about using. Apple has produced some of the most amazing and useful applications for technology, and I am sure the iPad will be no exception!

This Week in Photography's podcast also had a news-like feel. I listened to Episode 126: Racisim in Photography-Don't Blink! I thought it was very interesting that this podcast had sponsors; that made it feel like I was listening to a News Radio. The gentlemen involved were photographers, and I thought it was quite interesting in the very beginning that they mentioned blogging. This showed me that blogging is definitely becoming more and more popular. Their topic was quite different than what I expected. They were referring to colors of cameras vs. their prices and claims that different races might blink so they have developed software to help with this.

Conclusion
I thought the selection of podcasts we were asked to listen to was a good variety. They made me realize what I like and dislike about the podcasts and what I might and might not do in my own. I think overall, it depends on how professional that particular podcast needs to be and what audience you are trying to reach. In the end, it all boils down to your audience and keeping them interested!


First Graders- Ms. Cassidy's class
Children never ever cease to amaze me! When I was in elementary school--barely over ten years ago--we read "big" books, which were over-sized books that we would individually record us reading for our class. Then our teacher would sit up front holding the book while the tape recorder played, and we listened to the student reading the book. It was quite neat, and in a way, I suppose it was an early form of media literacy. We definitely thought it was the coolest thing to do, and I could not imagine what we would have thought if we would have been reading on computers or blogging. Ten years and this is how far technology has advanced elementary classrooms! I cannot even imagine what another ten years will do or what these students will be doing by the time they are in high school!

Teachers who take the time to make sure their students are advanced should be applauded. They are lighting the way for their students' futures! These kids are our future and without teachers helping them realize their potential, they might just live an ordinary every day life. This is the generation that could make flying cars "the norm." We should be encouraging these children every chance we get, and it all starts in elementary classrooms over the world today! And what better place to start than in our own classrooms?!?

Baby Using iPhone
Let me begin by defining "baby." Webster defines "baby" as "an infant;" then he defines "infant" as "
a beginner, as in experience or learning." If we think about the these definitions, shouldn't we realize the part that states they are beginners in experiences or learning? Babies are like sponges, and they take in absolutely everything they hear and see. Have you ever watched the movie "Baby Geniuses?" When I was younger, this movie seemed like a bit of a stretch when it comes to babies. Now I'm beginning to see this movie is becoming more and more possible.

When someone curses around a baby, most people say "Shh! Watch your mouth around the baby!" We censor everything that goes "in," so shouldn't we also look at what we are not letting come out? This baby using the iPhone was absolutely amazing! And because his parents gave him the chance to play with this phone, he was able to put it back out by using the different applications. This video should really make people think about their kids' capabilities. We could have the next Thomas Edison or Benjamin Franklin in our classrooms, so we should be prepared to the best of our capabilities so that they can shine to the best of theirs!




3 comments:

  1. Hey Angela, my name is Robyn I am in the tuesday thursday edm310 class.I liked the SMARTboard podcast as well. It showed that they are not up tight and they seemed like they were just carrying on a conversation with me. They were soooo funny to me too. I liked the fact that he was ordering coffee, can you record podcast from anywhere? thats what it seems like to me. I did not really enjoy the podcast at all honestly, but i did enjoy that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good work Angela. I believe you have an understanding of what Podcast are and what you can do in your own podcast coming up. You will do a script and PRACTICE your podcast prior to recording. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    Really good post! You go into some pretty deep analysis, and make some very valid points. I too liked the improvisational nature of the SMARTboard podcast. I also totally agree with your point that most of us in college now never got a chance to do things like this.

    ReplyDelete