Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 4

My Views on Podcasts

Podcasts are honestly not my favorite topic because I have yet to see how they can truly help me in a math class. I can be completely wrong though, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know! Even so, I do see where podcasts are becoming increasingly popular amongst elementary classrooms, literature classes, and history classes. Therefore, I do believe they are important to the education of our future students. And even though I might not use podcasts in my classroom, it might be interesting to listen to podcasts of my students in other classrooms. By listening to their podcasts, I can learn more about them such as their personalities and opinions on certain topics.

I have realized that it is extremely important to plan out your podcasts unless you are good at improvization, which I am not. The key to a successful podcast is definitely being prepared and ready. If you are doing a videocast, you should definitely be dressed presentable! If you are doing an audiocast, your listeners cannot see you, but you should definitely be prepared by rehearsing your podcast! If you want people to take you serious, you must be serious. This is definitely the case with students! If you are not serious, your students will never be serious about their podcasts because they will think it is a joke or an easy grade. Therefore, if your podcast is meant to be professional, be professional; if it is meant to be comedic, be a comedian. Overall, just fit the part! :)

1 comment:

  1. Angela, I did a search in iTunes for "Math Podcast" and got over 50+ hits. So... there are a lot of podcast out there regarding math. I highly recommend you listen to a few. Perhaps they will give you some ideas for your own classroom in a few years. I glad to hear you have a better understanding of how to create your own podcast. You are correct in that practice and planning is a key element. The practice alone will help with all the "ums" and "ahs" which I hate to hear in podcast. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete